Wednesday, September 6, 2006

What Are The Odds?

My daughter Rebecca had given me a my favorite kind of gift--doing something together. More explicitly, something in Denver. What to see? My choice. I deliberated as we drove the sixty miles from Colorado Springs and I finally decided on the Ocean Journey aquarium. But, when we were on the south end of Denver, I changed my mind and we veered to the right to go to the Museum of Nature and Science instead.

As we stood in the admissions line, we saw that the planetarium show started in ten minutes and decided that we could make it if we hussled. We enjoyed the two o'clock planetarium presentation about mysteries of the universe. We then lunched and spent the rest of the afternoon touring the museum. Fun.

We drove back to the Springs. After leaving Rebecca's house, I drove home--about twenty minutes away. Just as I approached the turn to go up the hill to my home, I remembered that my wife Lois would not be home until late, and I decided to turn into Applebee's for a beer.

After walking up to the bar, I met an electrical engineer in town from Boston for a couple of weeks. He worked for Intel. We had a great discussion about engineering things. We also talked about things to do in local area. 

"What have you been doing this weekend?" I asked.

"Well, today I drove up to Denver. Went to the Museum of Nature and Science," he said.

"Wow, I was up there too, with my daughter."

"I enjoyed the planetarium show."

"We saw that; what time were you there," I said.

"Two o'clock."

"Good grief, we were at the same show--and there were only twenty or so people there."

 

What are the odds that I would make last minute decisions to:

*Go the museum rather than the aquarium?

*Go to the next planetarium show?

*Turn into Applebee's rather than go home?

*Talk to a Boston stranger who just happened to decide to drive sixty miles to Denver, go to the same museum, and then just happen in to the same planetarium show?

These were a series of forks in my path that set up this synchroncity happening.

=========================

I know, I know...I only notice the related incidents and overlook the unrelated ones. But there are just enough of these sychronicity incidents in my life to be a bit spooky. If everything has a cause...

No comments: