Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Drive Through

"I want a Sausage McMuffin, orange juice and coffee."

"Okay, Sausage McMuffin, orange juice, and coffee. Please drive up to the window."

I go to the window and wait. There is a lot of activity inside. Then the red curtains open up on the playhouse window, revealing my grinning, five-year-old granddaughter Sarah.

"Here's your McMuffin," handing me a large wood chip; and here's the coffee," handing me a weathered insulated coffee cup.

There is no orange juice, apparently because she's short a second container.

"How much do I owe you?"

"One dollar."

"Here's five dollars; how much do you owe me?"

"Uuuugh..." she muses for a moment and then smiles:  "Four dollars."

She gives me my change: a handful of leaves.

I leave, only to return on request to place another order.

No comments: