Thursday, February 10, 2005

Who's up for Pancakes?

A couple of days ago, I recieved this email:

Subject: Who's up for Pancakes?

It’s an old English tradition that my old English grandfather taught us.  On Shrove Tuesday, or Mardi Gras, it has been a tradition in England since the 15th century to eat pancakes, thus using up all of the butter and eggs, which were forbidden during Lent.  However, I’m pretty sure that IHOP will let us in even if we don’t vow to forsake butter and eggs over the next forty days.

Anyone interested?

I wrote back:

Subject: Re: Who's up for Pancakes?

Are you sure that you are sending this message to the correct address?

Geoff in Colorado

I received this reply:

Subject: Re:Who's up for Pancakes?

Oops.  Sorry Geoff.  I was trying to send this to my housemate, Gordon.  Although you?re welcome to come out to northern Virginia and meet us for pancakes this evening.

To which I replied:

Subject: Re: Who's up for Pancakes?

Thanks, I will try to be there, but...we have a lot of icy roads here. Otherwise I will celebrate (have English roots) with lovely wife tonight at an IHOP.  

Geoff

Today, I sent back this reply:

Subject: Re: Who's up for Pancakes?

I want you to know the power that eminates from northern Virginia. I got that old Fat Tuesday craving for pancakes. My wife and I skipped IHOP and went to a Village Inn (more English). It will probably become a tradition.  

With much appreciation,
Geoff in Colorado Springs  

 In a few moments, I recieved the following:

Subject: Re:Who's up for Pancakes?

Your kids will have proof their old man is nuts when you tell them how you started celebrating in this way.

Best of luck,
Jon in Vienna

=================================

Thanks, Jon in Vienna, for starting a new family tradition in Colorado.

No comments: