Monday, February 7, 2005

Hungry Pregnant Women

Our cancer support group meeting was over. The last to leave, I noticed a lot of food left on the table. Knowing that it would all be trashed, I decided to take some home: a plate of fruit and veggies; and a pile of those buck-and-a-half Starbuck-like cookies.

Just as I finished wrapping up a stack of cookies, ten pregnant women lumbered back into the room with their partners. They had been taking a Lamaze class in a small conference room off our larger room when we were meeting. I was surprised to see them come back, because I had seen them leave.

"I thought you guys all left."

"We had to go to the bathroom," they said in unison.

"Why did you come back?" I asked.

"All that food." 

"Eat what you want before they take it away," I said. "Here are some cookies if you want them."

Soon all the famished women had plates full of veggies and fruit. A few took some cookies and their partners took the rest.

The sirons on the table were too much to resist. The snacks were gone. I left with one cookie. The food nourished their babies..

No comments: