Saturday, September 29, 2012

One Tough Dude

In the post office, I hand a filled-out form to the clerk.

He reviews the form and says, "Chance, is that how you sez it?"

"Yeah," I reply.

"Well, when I was in boot camp, I had a drill instructor: Sergeant Chance. He was one tough dude. Do you know any Chance like that?"

"I don't know of any Chances that were drill instructors. How long ago was that?"

"Oh, gosh, over thirty years ago. Don't think things in the military are as tough as that anymore."

"Yeah, nowadays the DI probably gives out M&M's for good behavior," I joke.

"They never let us have sweets in boot camp. When we got CARE boxes from home, we had to open them up in front of the DI and the troops. I remember when a friend opened up a box from his mother that was all cookies--chocolate chip. Sergeant Chance made him dump them on the ground and then Sergeant Chance stomped them into dust. I'll never forget that Sergeant Chance--one tough dude."

No comments: