Saturday, September 1, 2007

Farewell to Lightbulb

This morning, carrying my coffee cup and newspaper, I went out on our back deck. I was earlier than usual, as I was concerned if I would see Lightbulb the fawn. I have enjoyed the past two months -- from the day she was taking her first wobbly steps -- to now when she has just about lost her spots. My granddaughter Libby selected Lightbulb's name, along with the names for the twin fawns -- Roller and Coaster.

I have a love-hate relationship with the deer. We have stopped growing flowers--we tired of encasing them in netting. The bucks rub their old horns against tree trunks in the winter ripping off the bark and killing the trees. This winter was the worst for damage from foraging--they stripped most of the evergreens clean.

On the other hand, whether drinking coffee early in the morning or entertaining guests: having Lightbulb, Roller and Coaster bouncy-bounce-by is a showstopper.

Lightbulb's mother has been very protective. One day I saw her hiss loudly at a buck and chase him away. Then there was the time she chased the bobcat out of the backyard.

Nursing by Lightbulb has been a bit rough, with Lightbulb continually punching mom's udder with her nose. When mom has had enough, she swings her leg up over Lightbulb's head and feeding time is over. When Lightbulb has been separated from her mother, she has mewed like a cat.

I had the feeling this morning that Lightbulb was not going to walk by again. Last night at dusk she came by with her mother -- her rear leg broken and dangling.

I was very upset about Lightbulb's plight. Me! The one who is always cussing the deer.

Now how do I answer the inevitable question from my granddaughter about where Lightbulb has gone?

With the truth I guess -- our backyard is not a zoo, it's a jungle.

Bye Bye, Lightbulb.

 

No comments: